Friday, August 24, 2007

Waiter, there's something in my... meatless barbecue!

The event held by Cook sister is definitely interesting. I’m by no means a vegetable lover but I do have two recipes of meatless barbecue since I had to prepare something that my vegetarian friend could eat for a normal barbecue outing in the past. I was going to make a seafood barbecue, but then I realised my other friend is allergic to sea food. So I ended up with these, not that there were any complaints from anyone that day.

Tofu Kebab:

600 g smoked tofu (diced)
Bell peppers of different colours, diced

Fresh Bay leaves (can be cut in half)

To marinade tofu

3 tbs light soy sauce
2 tsp oil
1 crushed garlic

Mix the soy, oil and garlic evenly with the tofu and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Then start skewering the tofu, bell peppers and bay leaves. Don’t forget to colour coordinate.

Dip:

2 spring onions, diced
2 garlics, crushed
chilli sauce (as you like it)
1 tsp sugar
1 tbs white wine vinegar
2 tbs light soy sauce
3 tbs chunky peanut butter.

For the dip: Mix everything together.

That’s the original recipe. However, I do not have the luxury of owning some of the ingredients listed above, hence I use: sweet soy sauce + water + salt to substitute for light soy sauce; ground nuts for the peanut butter; and normal vinegar for the white wine vinegar. I ended up grinding all the dip ingredients and got a paste though… because I was making a ground nuts paste to match the peanut butter, but incidentally I forgot that the rest of the ingredients shouldn’t be pulverised along with it.

Vegetaria…n?

Bell peppers, diced
Cherry tomatoes
Pineapples, diced
Paneer cheese

Arrange everything on a skewer, remember, colour coordinate. Don’t barbecue them yet.

Barbecue sauce:

1 tbs oil
2 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tbs honey
2 tbs chilli sauce
(water if the sauce’s too thick)

Mix everything for the sauce and brushed it on top of the skewered vegetables. Start barbecuing them while brushing the sauce on to them once in a while till they are slightly charred.

Again, I did not have paneer cheese, so I decided to use those cube cheese that have different tastes. They ended up pretty interesting. Alternatively, you can always use the leftover smoked tofu from the tofu kebab. A caution note: the recipe is merely an estimation. Please feel free to change the amounts of ingredients to suite your own taste. You can eat both straight away or as a dish for rice, salad and/or potatoes.

Hope you enjoyed the recipes!

And the round up has came out!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

Hi June
I've had smoked tofu but have never thought of cooking it on the BBQ. And thanks for the BBQ sauce recipe! Thanks for taking part in WTSIM :)

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home